EdScoop, Washington, D.C.
- Technology Editor: Report and write about educational technology, focusing more on long-term and in-depth reporting projects. Manage all freelance reporters, contributing writers and interns. Produce and publish two email newsletters per week and a themed editorial package every month. (May 2018 to present)
- Staff Reporter: Reported and wrote about the influence of technology in K-12 and higher education, with stories about computer science education, open educational resources, data analytics, and state and federal education policy, for an audience of school technology directors and higher ed CIOs. (May 2017 to April 2018)
Inside Higher Ed, Washington, D.C.
- Reporting Intern: Reported breaking news and enterprise stories for an audience of higher education decision-makers, focusing primarily on stories about technology and digital learning in the classroom. (Jan. 2017 – May 2017)
The Huffington Post, Washington, D.C.
- Politics Intern: Pitched and wrote stories daily, including coverage of breaking news, policy issues and national, state and local campaigns for immediate publication online. Worked alongside reporters and editors in the bureau, assisting with research and data-driven projects. (Sept. 2016 – Dec. 2016)
The Columbus Dispatch, Columbus, Ohio
- Metro Desk Intern: Pitched, reported and wrote breaking news, features and enterprise stories, accumulating more than 60 clips in 16 weeks. Stories ranged from science, medicine and health to education, city council, courts and cops. Over half of stories published on front page or metro cover. (May 2016 – Sept. 2016)
The Miami Student, Oxford, Ohio
- Managing Editor: Collaborated with staff on story ideas and deadlines; edited all content before publication; wrote in-depth and breaking news stories, including infractions in the Greek system and a secret presidential search. Under my leadership, The Student won best college newspaper in Ohio. (April 2015 – March 2016)
- News Editor: Assigned, edited and managed stories for 40+ news reporters. (May 2014 – April 2015)
- Senior Staff Writer: Wrote weekly articles about academics, diversity and student life. (Oct. 2013 – May 2014)
U.S. Agency for International Development
- Virtual Student Foreign Service eIntern: Managed WordPress site for USAID book club. (May 2015 – March 2017)
Africa Center for Strategic Studies, Washington, D.C.
- Media Intern: Proofread all content, analyzed social media strategies and covered events in the area; created media list of 200+ Africa correspondents; redesigned agency website using Wix.com. (May – July 2015)
South Africa YMCA, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
- Blogger: Maintained a WordPress site during a summer volunteering in South Africa and Lesotho, delving into issues of poverty, racial inequality, cultural divides and economic disparity. (May – Aug. 2014)
Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, Class of 2016
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and International Studies
- Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude
- AP Style, CMS, SEO, editing, FOIA requests, web analytics, DSLRs, Audacity, iMovie, Google Drive, social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat)
- Organized, meticulous, tenacious, graceful under pressure, self-sufficient, team player, versatile, high standards for quality, adaptable, problem solver
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Finalist: ASBPE’s 2017 Azbee Award of Excellence — Enterprise News Story (March 2018)
- Finalist: ASBPE’s 2017 Azbee Award of Excellence — Web Microsite/Special Section (March 2018)
- Finalist: SPJ National Mark of Excellence Awards — In-Depth Reporting (May 2017)
- Winner: SPJ Region 4 Mark of Excellence Awards — In-Depth Reporting (April 2017)
- Finalist: SPJ Region 4 Mark of Excellence Awards — General News Reporting (April 2016)
- Recipient: Michael Kelly Prize, awarded to a senior at Miami University who exemplifies ethical decision-making and professionalism in journalism (May 2016)
- Society of Professional Journalists